Thursday, December 13, 2012

Log Cabin quilts!

 Can you stand just one picture of this quilt?  TADA!  The border is on...it is a mere 2 inches wide, but look huge against the 1/2 inch logs.  I really wanted a border on this one, to protect the edges.  It just occurred to me that this quilt may be around for a while, maybe longer than I will be around, and used a lot, so I picked a fabric from the stash and went for it!  I am so elated that it is to this stage..yahoo!!  5200 little pieces in this quilt.
So....I cut out another log cabin quilt!!  Two inch logs this time, and just a few blocks...fun!!  All this is an attempt to use all the strips and strings and scraps that I have been gifted with...I love them so much!  Thank you to all who so generously gave me their strings and strips this year...you will notice your fabrics in these quilts.  This one will be a patient quilt.


Hey, some people have mentioned that I seem to get a lot done...thank you for that.  There are lots of more prolific quilters out there than I am for sure, so I appreciate it, but...the thing is, is that I don't sleep!  Insomnia makes for great cutting out and quiet sewing time.  I don't recommend it, however!! You know, I don't see this piecing frenzy happening forever for me, so right now, I am trying to sew up every last little bit of fabric I own.  Waste not, want not, right?  Frugality comes from my parents...depression children.  I bet some of you know just what I mean!!



Something really cool happened this week...I was contacted by a representative of Fons and Porter to review their log cabin online book!  I am so excited about this...I love Fons and Porter quilts, and have made several of them, bought each magazine and just generally enjoyed their work.  The book is wonderful...several great ideas for log cabin quilts, and of course this was great timing, as I am making log cabins as you can see!  The best tip for me from this book was their binding tutorial, for a no lump binding!!  Loved this, and I am using it!!  Guess what?  You can see this book for free too!!  Please click HERE to see it...maybe you will be inspired to use up some of your little string pieces.


Have a great day!!!

Julie

22 comments:

Nancy said...

Thanks for the link for the log cabin book. I like Fons & Porter magazines (Love of Quilting and Love of Knitting come to my house).

I'm a Depression child, so I definitely "get it."

Nicky said...

Oh my starting again??

KaHolly said...

Funny you should mention sleep. I was going to ask you if you ever did that.....sleep, I mean. At least you use your time wisely!! This log cabin quilt came out beautiful, as I knew it would.

Maxine said...

I am a lover of Log Cabin quilts, too. Your 1/2 inch strips are beautiful. Thanks for the link to the Fons and Porter book.

Angie said...

Your little log cabins quilt is really stunning. :)

Vicki W said...

Congratulations! I know how good this finish feels!

Kim said...

Love log cabins, one of my all time favorites.....you really rocked this one! I hear you on the not sleeping.....it really wears me out!

Happy Sewing

Unknown said...

do you do this by hand with a rotary cutter or do you have one of those accuquilt cutters as I want to buy one but want to know what people think of them - thanks

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

You LC quilt is phenomenal! I know what you mean about frugality and upbringing. I have a feeling that for the most part, though, that stops with our generation! Everything today is so disposable, sadly. I could accomplish a LOT more without sleep... hmm... ;) That online book is a good resource, I agree.

AnnieO said...

You're so practiced at this log cabin thing that it's no wonder you're asked for review skills! I like to use scraps too but you are far more dedicated than I when it comes to the bitty bitty ones:) It is a gorgeous quilt.

Wishing you some Christmas dreams with some more sleep!

Janet O. said...

Your little cabin quilt is WONDERFUL!! Love it, Julie.
And another one in the works--oh, my. You go, girl!! : )
I have downloaded the Fons and Porter book.

Leeanne said...

Love it!! And the fact that you are making another is fabulous!You sure can get way more done when you don't sleep....I wish we didn't need it. I have 74yr old customer & she is such a scream, she wants sleep to be outlawed as she has too much to do in her garden & quilt tops to make!! I love that love for life!

Leeanne said...

P.S congrats on the book, I'm off to go see!

Kimme said...

Wow fantastic quilt Julie. Congrats on being asked to review the e book. I've already downloaded it :)

Lori said...

Oh my gosh! What is not to love about your log cabin quilt?! It is amazing and wonderful in every way!

Helen in the UK said...

Woo hoo! Congrats on getting all those tiny blocks assembled and bordered. This is another stunner :)

Anonymous said...

It looks fantastic!

Merilyn said...

The log-cabin quilt is just awesome, a great accomplishment, and the border is just right for it too!!! Well done!!! Thanks for the link to the book. Have a wonderful Christmas!

Quilter Kathy said...

Oh my goodness my friend...you are totally addicted!
A great scrap user for sure!

Loretta said...

Julie,
That white plastic container holding your pieces looks just like the ones we get our pre-filled syringes in at work.
Loretta (another critical care nurse!)

Linda O said...

Oh, my goodness, Julie...it's gorgeous! Will look forward to seeing the new log cabin too!

antique quilter said...

love love love your quilt!
log cabin quilts are just one of my all time favorites.
Kathie

Puffins and purples!!

I was tempted by Puffins...a squirrelly breed!!  LOL!  This fabric was shared with me, and I have been loved these bright, candy corn colors...