Tuesday, January 12, 2010

A day off

Hi all: I finished Kaaren's First Friday Freebie, the above stitchery. I so loved doing this! It was my insomnia stitching for the last couple of nights. Something I can stitch to be quiet so as to not wake the rest of the houshold, yet accomplish something.

And...what is the world? I am sure you can figure out that this is a cut out log cabin quilt. The stacks of brown fabric are hiding a lot of different colors! This should be fun to do...I am sewing this one differently, though. Usually I make block by block, but I am going to chain piece this one, and hopefully make a little quicker progress.


Pressure: I sometimes feel a little pressure in that I need to sew something, so I can show you all that I really am sewing! How twisted is that...this is supposed to be for fun, after all. So I guess I am just going to concentrate on whatever strikes my fancy at the moment. Should be fun! That is what I am after, after all!!


**********************Nurse's Notes*****************************************


A man came in for a simple knee scope procedure...in and out in 30 minutes. WELL, the best plans of mice and men, right? He ended up having a major heart attack in the recovery room, so he got to come to me in Cardiac Critical Care. He ended up with 3 stents in his heart, and now he is back home again. A person just never knows one day (or breath) to the next what will happen...so I am determined to enjoy life to the fullest and do good things with each breath I am granted!!!

***************************************************************************


Have a fabulous day...hopefully I can report back that I actually accomplished a lot!



Julie

14 comments:

Debi said...

Very cute snowman...will have to try to find the link. I love log cabins also, and am working on another one as well.

Pat said...

Nice stitchery piece and how LUCKY was that man to be in a hospital setting when he had that major attack! (And luckier yet to get YOU for his nurse!!!) I'm glad he has recovered nicely.

Sharon said...

I just printed that stitch design yesterday. Very cute. Yes, every day is a good day, some are just better than others. Enjoy the process of your log cabin, I did 144 blocks and loved it. They are still on the design wall....soon to be put together!

Connie said...

I love the log cabin and the snowmen is very cute. The man was very lucky , you might say someone was watching over him..... Yes I alway say live each to you fullnes don't know when it could be your last ,SEW SEW SEW SEW!

Nancy said...

My blog is also useful in applying the pressure (I prefer to call it motivation) I need to get busy on some projects - old or new.

I haven't done embroidery for a long time. Your snowman is enticing me to find my supplies.

Kaaren said...

Whew, Julie. Sure makes one sit back and take notice that life is truly a gift and not something to take for granted.

You finished your stitchery already. It looks wonderful. Thanks for taking the time to make it.

I absolutely love the quilt in your header. I'm going to try to make a string quilt from my stash and I'd love to add some sashing as you did. It definitely add to the beauty of the quilt.

Loris said...

Yes! this is just supposed to be for fun :-) try to let the pressure go and I will too!
The snowman looks wonderful though and the log cabin very interesting.
I'm still working on thank you notes and work! Did I say I went part time? When do I get to play :-)

Amelia said...

How in the world did you make such tiny tiny stitches for the snowman. Top notch work I say.

Logs to work with in the quilting piece...twill be fun.

Such a dedicated nurse - your patients are lucky!

Terry said...

Your snowman stitchery looks great! I certainly have to agree with you...life will throw your a curve ball when you least expect it, so make the most of every day! :0)

Danielle said...

Snowman + Stitchery = Adorable!

Anonymous said...

Hi Julie, love your snowman stitchery...look forward to seeing your log cabin blocks.....I chain piece when I am sewing log cabin blocks...hugs lyn

Stephanie D said...

Gee, who knew the kneebone was connected to the heartbone??

I remember many, MANY years ago, having a patient admitted the afternoon before toe surgery--back before it was an outpatient procedure. Darned if he didn't code on us!

Coming in for that knee surgery might just have saved that man's life. It was probably only a matter of time--and he might have been driving a car when it hit him.

Quilter Kathy said...

I am the same way...you never know what you might feel like working on, and this is our hobby, so it should be lots of FUN! Therefore, I keep many projects on the go at the same time and can work on whatever strikes my fancy each day. Sometimes I just feel like strip piecing, or quilting, or hand stitching...I like to have all the options available :)

Meggie said...

I am so glad that never happened to me, when I had an arthroscopy for my knee! However I could not stop throwing up, & I had to lie to get to go home the same day... I would rather throw up at home, thankyou!
Love your quilt top!

Puffins and purples!!

I was tempted by Puffins...a squirrelly breed!!  LOL!  This fabric was shared with me, and I have been loved these bright, candy corn colors...