Saturday, July 4, 2009

Happy Independence Day America!

Happy Fourth to everyone! Hope you get the day off and have the oppurtunity to celebrate our freedom! We have a low key day planned, and are just going to eat something yummy cooked on the grill and see the fireworks tonight in our town. It is hotter than blue blazes! Above is a quilt made by Cheryl Apollo, a machine quilter in our town. I won it in the American Heart silent auction, with all proceeds going to American Heart Association. It is a randomly pieced quilt with all Americana fabrics...I love it! Hmmmm, I just figured out the pattern! Can you see it?

Here it is, on our couch, ready for a nap if someone wants to curl up with it.
I had a few batics left, those precious, colorful, lovely fabrics! I could easily become addicted to these, they are so pretty. I cut them up in strips, and the idea is to make a Jewel Box quilt someday. I really love the pattern, and these seemed like jewel colors to me. Don't you love my messy box full of color?


Well, there were some very small strings left, so I pieced them onto a backing/batting rectangle, cut them out, and made these little cosmetic bags. Each is about 6x8 inches.





Ok, there were a few smaller strings left...should I pitch them? Well, I pieced them together and made a little mug mat. 3x4 inches. I still need to hand stiche the binding down. The binding piece was a leftover I found in the binding box.




This is all that is left. I saved the tiny strings, put them in a jelly jar with a bright rafia ribbon. I will keep it until I am tired of it, then the scribble scraps will finally hit the trash!
Ok, tell me...do you ever do this? Do you just use up every little bit like that? Or do you start each project with new fabric and toss your scraps when you are done? I like both ways! Please tell me what you do!!!
**********************************************************************************
Nursing update!!!!!!!
Nuts! That is all I can say about work right now...but I am glad to report that "Mr Freeze" has gone to rehab, and is probably home by now!! Yippeee!!! He is super nice, and his wife is even nicer!!!!!!
Have a super great fourth!!
Julie





23 comments:

Sue H said...

Fun question! For four or five years, I tossed my scraps. Then about the time I "retired" four years ago (a coincidence? I don't think so...), I started saving my scraps. I am a confirmed scrap saver/user now! So much fun to make something out of "nothing".

SandyQuilts said...

Pretty Quilt

Darlene said...

Happy 4th to you, Julie! I love your quilt.

Unknown said...

Hope you enjoy your day, love the quilt, but I'm not sure on the design, maybe yellow brick road?

Debi said...

Love the quilt and the bags. You did a lot with those scraps. I am glad you get to relax today.

Pat said...

I don't pitch many scraps....like to use up as much as I can. I love batiks, too. Your patriotic quilt that you won is really nice!

Kathy said...

I love the Americana quilt, but I can't see the pattern.. Looks similar to Yellow Brick Road, but don't think it is???

Nurse to Nurse - The last ER I worked at implemented Hypothermia protocols while I was there...pretty cool! The rural hospital I am at now doesn't participate yet, but I think it's coming pretty soon. Congratulations on a job well done; that's what it's all about....saving lives!!! You go girl!

Trisha said...

Love that americana quilt. It took me a while to see the pattern. Cool! Love your batiks, so beautiful.

AnnieO said...

I'm so glad you updated us about Mr. Freeze, and happy he has left your excellent care. A very lucky man indeed.

I have never saved tiny scraps, but I do use bigger ones. My fabric storage space is limited so I have to choose yardage over selvages, LOL! I absolutely love what you did with your batik scraps--those bags are great. And what could be more inviting than a quilt laid over a couch, ready for a pre-Fireworks nap?

Teresa said...

I seldom start with all new fabric for a quilt, but do ocassionally. Your batiks are so pretty and how smart of you to find uses for the tiny pieces.

Karen said...

That's a good patriotic quilt!

Unknown said...

Julie, I thought that jar had jelly beans in it. How cute. I'm afraid I throw all of those edges away although someone said they make good ties for the bigger plants or small tree that need some help.
Cute quilt but fraid I don't know the names of those scrappy quilts.
So glad the Mr. Freeze is on the mend. Know what that Rehab is.

Stephanie D said...

Is that the Wicked Easy pattern? Looks similar to a RWB I made a couple of years ago using that pattern!

I've been saving batiks for a Jewel Box quilt, too! Great minds think alike....

Nurse to nurse: got to see fireworks in 4 different neighborhoods from an empty patient room tonight. Sometimes there are perks to working holidays--even if my hospital DOESN'T pay holiday pay.

Lorraine said...

I have a huge box of scraps....I also have lots of patterns to use up scraps...but never seem to get to the scrap box....I usually start new projects with new fabrics perhaps it is a time thing....telling myself I don't have time to search thru the scrab box for fabric...easier to start again with new fabric....perhpas like Sue my retirement may coincide with using more scraps....more time????? (less income?)only time will tell!!

Darcie said...

Ah...you're the perfect recipient of such a super, patriotic quilt, Julie! Hurray for you! ;-)

I love what you've done with your scraps and strings! The little jelly jar of strings is adorable, just as it is. Remember the little mug mat that you so kindly gifted to me? Out of super narrow little strings? I LOVE IT!!!

Happy Sunday to you. Hope it's a day of rest for you. ;-) Stay cool.

Hugs!

Jean said...

Cute bags. I save my scraps for string piecing unless they are very tiny. I also enjoy making something out of nothing! Now I am saving selvages too, to think I threw these away for years!

Quilter Kathy said...

I think we must be kindred quilting souls! I do the same thing! I have about 30 jam jars of tiny bits that I just couldn't throw out because they are so pretty!
Lucky you to win that great quilt...enjoy!

Marilyn Robertson said...

Happy 4th of July! I am a scrap saver. I have a very hard time throwing even the little scraps away. Sometimes I think it is a sickness, but I'm not ready for the cure yet!

Sara said...

What a great quilt! I love it! And thank you for supporting the American Heart Association!

I admit I am a scrap saver, I love them, don't know what to do with them all the time, but someday they will find a project!

Anonymous said...

Hello Julie, Happy Independence Day to you.....not sure of the quilt pattern........scraps...weelll..when I am working on a quilt I place the scraps in a plastic bag and donate them to the hospitals craft group......hugs lyn

~Bren~ said...

I love your 4th of July quilt! Hope you had a great weekend. I am glad Mr. Freeze is doing so well, but I will miss updates on him!

Julie @ Jaybird Quilts said...

super cute patriotic quilt... and how great is that to win it?... like a bouns!!

*karendianne. said...

Love those little bags you made and girl, what a gggrrreat quilt. And dontcha know but Outlook reminded me someone is having a birthday coming up real soon. Just mentioning it because it sure is on my radar!

Puffins and purples!!

I was tempted by Puffins...a squirrelly breed!!  LOL!  This fabric was shared with me, and I have been loved these bright, candy corn colors...