Friday, November 21, 2008

The most precious of all...

Friends! They are so wonderful...I received a wonderful package from Lyn at http://www.bluebirdquilts-lyn.blogspot.com/. She has a wonderful blog, you should stop by and tell her hi! Am amazing little quilt that she made, and some buttons, lace trim, lucky penny from Australia, some cute Christmas buttons, an angel ornament, some wonderful fabric, a book mark, and some great antique lace trim. What a fun, fabulous package! These were wrapped for Christmas...hey, Lyn? I did not wait, sorry, K??

I wanted to tell you of the most wonderful quilts of all in my life. My mother died way too young, of Lou Gherig's Disease. She was a wonderful woman, not just because she was my mom, but she was strong, cared about everyone, and was just the best person I have ever met. She was also an avid quilter! At the time she quilted, there was not a lot of cotton to be found. She used leftover garment material and whatever she could find to make quilts. I recall that she made a good many double knit quilts, but I do not have any of these, all the ones I have are cotton. Above is a log cabin quilt she made. All her quilts that I ever knew about were tied, and she used flannel for the backing on each one. They are so warm and snuggly!


Close up of the log cabin, remember, when these quilts where made, each strip was cut with scissors ( no rotary cutters then). She always said Log Cabins were hard to make, and I bet so, when you had to cut out 1.5 inch strips by hand!!



A Grand mother's flower garden. Tied, of course, and you know, she used what she had, as we were very poor when I was growing up. The yellow setting material was probably what she had at the time. Different than any I have ever seen! This quilt has another quilt inside of it, used for batting, a practice the old time quilter's sometimes did.





I don't know the pattern name for this quilt, but this may have been the last quilt she made. Scraps, of course. This one was for me, as I was the youngest child of many.





My name above, embroidered by my mother. Now, my mother was a very accomplished needle woman, with very fine emboidery skills. My sisters told me that she could not embroider in the last stages of her illness before she became bed bound, but she was determined to embroider my name on this quilt. This is the best she could do. I am so honored to have some of her work. Tears are in my eyes and on my cheeks as I write this. Love you, Mom!






Another of her quilts. Finished on the back with flannel. Reminds me of the squares I sewed together today for the bargello quilt. It seems to me that this has older fabrics in it...many my sisters remember as dresses they wore.







A close up of some of the fabrics, maybe 1940-1950 vintage? Maybe a bit later, I don't know.


So! I honor my precious mother, and miss her each day. She died when I was 12. A precious lady, and such a loss for our world, but a gain for heaven above!!


JulieK








29 comments:

Unknown said...

What wonderful quilts! So nice to have so many from your mom. Terrific memories. They certainly tell a personal on loving story.

Leanne said...

What a lovely post and it proves quilts are the best gift from the heart.

antique quilter said...

what treasures they are for you.
I love that log cabin...beautiful .
so nice that you have these quilts your mom made.
sweet post.

Paula said...

I think that is part of what drew me into quilting. I own a couple quilts made by my grandmother and one made by my husband's great grandmother. I hope to have something tangible to pass along that will help my children and future grandchildren to remember me fondly. Thanks for telling your story.

Shari said...

Wow Julie. So beautiful and precious. What a great mother. What good memories. There's a lesson here for all of us. Thank you so much for sharing something so personal.
Hugs Shari

Teresa said...

I am tearing up right along with you. You have some wonderful treasures to cuddle up with and feel your mothers loving touch.

Kristie said...

Wow! Julie, those are wonderful quilts, such precious memories for you! I love them!
Kristie

Ginny Worden said...

Thank you for sharing your memories, and quilts of your mothers. They are the things that often mean the most to us, and to share them is a blessing.

Marilyn Robertson said...

Thanks for sharing your Mother's quilts with us and the stories behind them! Her quilts are treasures.

Tazzie said...

What wonderful treasures you have there - a lovely memory of your mother. From her heart to yours.
*hugs*
Tazzie
:-)

*karendianne. said...

Timeless Treasures. You've captured it all and I'm so moved. Beauty and Endurance.

With Love, Honor and Respect, *karendianne.

Darcie said...

Oh my. I am overcome with tears and emotions. Your pain as well as your triumphs have molded you into "you"...the very special Julie that I am thankful to *know* from Texas.

Those quilts are such priceless treasures. Each piece of fabric...each tuft of yarn...every inch of their being is a treasure that your Mom created with such love. What a beautiful story, Julie.

Hugs to you!

PS...do any of your sisters share your quilting passion?

Finn said...

What a lovely, lovely post Julie. I can tell you mom was truly on in a million and a very special lady. And to have some of her needlework, that is awesome. They are all beautiful quilts in their own way and no need to apologize for being tied vs. quilted. Time was harder to come by without all our new conveniences like microwaves and clothes dryers.
The one with your name on it is know as "Brick Path", a series of off set rectangles that follow across the quilt bargello fashion but without the up and down...just down. The last quilt is, I believe, an Album Patch and also known as a Chimney Sweep block. I especially love the log cabin. And yes indeed, we've come a long way from the scissor cut pieces. That is where I began quilting also. Cardboard templates traced around and cut with scissors. Lots of work!
I think you should write out the history and names as you know and remember them for future generations. I know you don't have a daughter, but perhaps someday a granddaughter...it would be good to have a notebook or journal with pictures and a journal entry of data and your feelings about the quilts. Very precious gifts they are to you. Big hugs, Finnie

Quilter Kathy said...

I enjoyed reading about your Mom and seeing her quilts. You are so lucky to have such a rich family history and heirlooms full of memories to treasure.

Libby said...

What treasures!

Anne Heidi said...

Your Mom's quilts are wonderful. Thank you for sharing your story. My Mother in Law also suffered from ALS, or Lou Gehrigs desease, and she passed away a few years ago. We miss her a lot and cherish all the garments she knit for our kids before she became ill.
Hugs.

Stina Blomgren said...

Lovely treasures... sweet memories!

And love the christmas presents from Lyn...love the little quilt!!

Ruth said...

What special heirlooms these quilts are! So sorry that you lost your wonderful mother at such a young age, but I'm happy you have good memories and the quilts she made.

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

These are such beautiful quilts Julie - talent definitely runs in your family. The log cabin is gorgeous - as is your pineapple in the previous post.

MARCIE said...

Oh my goodness, you were only 12 when she passed away? She would be delighted to know that you treasure her quilts and more, that you have continued in her footsteps. I bet she would love that bargello quilt too!

meggie said...

A lovely tribute to your mother. Her quilts were wonderful, & it is so nice that you still have them.

Tricia said...

I too lost my mum when I was young, just 17. The quilts you have from your mum are so precious. My mum did not make any thing like that, but she had made my older sister a dress when she came out of hospital after surgery when she was 4. After mum died she and I were sorting through her things and found the remnant of the material of that dress, my sister was 28. My mum was a great believer in ' you never know when it will come in handy'! I wish now that I had kept that material so that I could put it into the quilts I now make.
Everything you have of someone you loved is precious. The only thing I have her hand writing on is an old shopping list found in a jacket pocket a couple of years after she died. It is now in a very safe place.
The quilts are beautiful, and I hope my daughter treasures my quilts like you do your mum's.
Keep quilting.....

Karen said...

Thank you for posting your mother's quilts. Love the log cabin quilt. And I can understand how difficult it must have been to hand cut all those strips.

~Bren~ said...

I am trying to catch up on my blogging and this post was SO touching. What wonderful quilts your mom made and the embroidery...well I have tears in my eyes too. Thank you for sharing with us. I feel honored.

Nan said...

Hello Julie! What a beautiful tribute to your wonderful mother. I love every quilt and your stories about them. I think my favorite is the embroidery of your name. It speaks volumes about the love she had for you. Thank you so much for sharing.

Khris said...

OMG I had tears reading this Julie. Big hugs, Khris

Julia said...

Hi, i have just found you..I enjoyed reading about your Mom and seeing her quilts....so touching.
The quilts are so beautiful and what a treasure for you to have and remember her by..
thank you
Hugs Julia ♥..

Creative Times with Sue said...

JulieK what wonderful gifts your mother has left you with quilts that will show what mums time on this earth meant to her. She also has given you the desire to create with fabric.....gosh that is a wonderful legacy to leave a loving daughter!

Twisted Quilts said...

Thank you for sending me over here to see your mother's quilts. WOW! she put so much work into them. Did she do the actual hand quilting herself? I love her use of color. I know you miss her.

Puffins and purples!!

I was tempted by Puffins...a squirrelly breed!!  LOL!  This fabric was shared with me, and I have been loved these bright, candy corn colors...