Thursday, January 3, 2008

Happiest New Year!
















Hi everyone:

Hope you all had a great New Year's celebration! We had a quiet night, went out to eat, and then to our local theme park and walked around and looked at all the lights and decorations. Fun night!!

I have several goals for the new year; I hesitate to call them resolutions. I have listed 6 quilts to really concentrate on completing this year. My own list, for my own head to get around, in a place I look every day (the bathroom mirror). Maybe this will help spur on new efforts, right?

The above old quilt is one that was destined for the trash, but I rescued it! It is an apple core (or ax head) quilt, and probably has lots of other names. The fabrics are from the '30 and '40's in my best guess-tamation. The black/darker pieces are shreading. The quilt maker was surely a very talented lady, all her points meet so well!! and such pretty scraps. Many of the pieces are pieced together, due to fabric shortage and using every scrap. Just lovely!! I repaired the top and just slightly quilted it to hold it together and give it stability, and I love her work. So, Salute to you, unknown quilter of old, we honor your work!! Wouldn't it be fun if the original quilter would read this and contact me??

The other pictures are those of my Bonnie's Mysterious quilt coming together. I have now finished part 3 and part 4, and am working on the red and white pile (part 5). So this will be fun to get it all put together!! I wonder how many of these quilts will come to fruition...hmmmmmmmmmmmm. It would be fun to see them all!! Isn't it a good thing I clip my threads as I go? HAHA!! I just can't be perfect, look at all those threads hanging out!!

Have a wonderful day!! Day off today for me and I got all the Christmas decorations down and put away, so yahoo for that!!

Gratitudes: Health, Family, quilt fabric and Macaroni Grill lunch out!!

Julie Q

9 comments:

Linda C said...

The reds are for a different project, right? I love the blues you chose for the Quiltville mystery--very restful.

Gotta love that apple core quilt too---such fun looking at all the different prints.

Happy New Year to you and yours, Julie.

tami said...

Wow, lucky you finding the apple core quilt in the trash. The things some people throw away.

Darcie said...

What a fine rescue effort, Julie! Good for you!!! I've always like the Apple Core quilt...with its straight-forward curviness (oxymoron!).

Saska said...

Our mystery quilts are going to look just alike! I think I even see some of the same fabrics.

Julia said...

Your blocks are looking great..
Love the apple core quilt, I would love to own an old quilt like this...
I have the apple core template, seeing this inspires me to start on it..

comicbooklady said...

I love the name "apple core" quilt. You say you rescued it, how did you come across it? Lucky you!

I love seeing the progress everyone is making on their mystery quilt! I would love to see all the finished ones posted on one blog!

Nettie said...

That apple core quilt is beautiful. Are you planning to redo some of the shredding blocks or just try to preserve it?

~Joan said...

Julie, our tastes are sooo similar. I love your CC quilt. The colors are so rich and vibrant. I am hand quilting a string quilt of 1930's vintage. I am hand piecing an apple core quilt even as we speak. I made a Tabletop trees this past Xmas (6 of them, in fact!). I also made several broken dishes quilts! Too coincidental, don't you think? Oh--I'm also an RN, but I am not working now. ~Joan

Nanette Merrill said...

I've always wanted to make an apple core quilt. Its so cute. Lucky you.

Puffins and purples!!

I was tempted by Puffins...a squirrelly breed!!  LOL!  This fabric was shared with me, and I have been loved these bright, candy corn colors...