Wednesday, November 14, 2007

For my Mom...



Hi all:

Ok, I made a BIGGGGGGGGG quilt top!! The green one is 85x85 at this time and has one more border to be put on.

The other quilt is one I made in honor of my Mom, and is a swallow block, which travels to the flying geese, who fly around the quilt to fade out of sight, just like my Mom did. It is entirehand hand-pieced and hand quilted and hand appliqued.

May I tell you a story? Once upon a time there lived a beautiful lady, who was talented and kind as well, and the best of all mothers. I was fortunate enough to be her daughter. She was courageous and lovely, but most of all loved her family fiercely, especially her children..She had five, and each one was made to feel special and loved each day.This special lady died of Lou Gerig's disease, after an exhaustive fight. She died so young, but in her shortened life, imparted such great knowledge and wisdom to her kids. She taught me how to quilt, and can, and many other things. She passed away when I was twelve.

We used to piece at her old ( and I'm talking old) Pfaff machine, and she would watch out the window to see her children play. I would help her to tie quilts, draping and layering them over the old freezer in her room. Home was a tiny house, and yes, the freezer was in her bedroom. She even had a stash, just like we do today!! In an old plyboard cupboard, she kept her fabric treasures. Lots of double knit, and some precious scraps of cotton. One of my favorite things was to play in her button tin, and she save all of them let me tell you!!

You know all those little quilts I have made? This is my plan for them: I am going to auction them off and donate all the proceeds to Lou Gerig's research for a cure. Seems fitting to do this to honor my Mom. After all, she taught me to quilt...


It probably will be after the first of the year before I have time to do this, but done it will be.JulieQ

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Beautiful quilts Julie and what a wonderful way to honour your mum.

dot said...

Beautiful quilts and great story. I agree with Linda, a great way to honor your mother.

Paula, the quilter said...

That is a great way to honor your mom. Are you going to auction them online?

Anonymous said...

To all:

This lady is my mom. Just like her mom, she is a great lady and I couldn't be more proud of her.

Love you, mom.

-Brandon

JustCindy said...

The quilt in honor of your mother is spectacular.

Hedgehog said...

What a gorgeous tribute. Thank you for sharing the quilt and the story behind it.

May Kristin said...

Your quilts are beautiful! What a wonderful way to honour your mother. Thank you for sharing!

Angie said...

What lovely quilts, Julie! And such a beautiful way to honor your Mom. I had a friend who died of this horrid disease...your idea for your little quilts is a wonderful and generous thing to do!

Nurse Nancy said...

Hi Julie. I came to check out your site after you visited mine. lol Your quilts are absolutely beautiful. Stunning work!! What an awesome honor to your mom. You rock!!

Nurse Nancy

Puffins and purples!!

I was tempted by Puffins...a squirrelly breed!!  LOL!  This fabric was shared with me, and I have been loved these bright, candy corn colors...